The Journey Continues...

The Journey Continues...

Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday...22 April 2011

Good Friday! Someone I know forgot and had a sausage at the local markets.....
So yesterday I finally got to see the famous Bendigo Pottery. Its been there for like forever and my mate Janie bought me home a Bendigo Pottery coffee mug once as a souvenier, (which btw I still have safely tucked away in a packing box), but now I have seen it  for myself! Very surprised at the various patterns they produce. Blues, greens, browns, scenic. There was also an artist gallery attached and I was most taken with the work of a lass who dabbles mostly in Clydesdale horses and other things like plants and birds. She had some portraits displayed but I feel her horse paintings are her best work. Her horses had movement her people were a bit stilted. And she has the same first name as my sister. Did not buy anything, Perhaps one day when I have somewhere to put things again.
Today we went into the BIT (Bendigo Institute of Technology, now called the local TAFE!), to see a display of woodworking by the locals. Some lovely stuff but I did expect more somehow. Btw, the display was in the same hall Himself watched the moon landing in way back in 1969, and also received his awards as Apprentice of the Year each and every year of his four year apprenticeship!!! Kinda freaked me out imaginging him climbing the steps to the stage knowing his parents were sitting in the audience. Ghosts people, but exceedingly nice ones.
This whole Bendigo thing has been one long trip down memory lane for him and I am learning much more than I already knew about this man I am married to.
After that we wandered over the road to a market and wandering through there led us into the the Bendigo Chinese Museum. I got to see Loong who is the oldest Imperial (five clawed) dragon in the world! He made his first appearance in Bendigo in 1892 and continued to walk through the streets of Bendigo until  his retirement in 1970. He is probably the dragon I saw as a child and I remember still the terror I felt seeing this thing in the street with all the associated noise.  He has since been replaced by Sun Loong. Sun Loong is the longest Imperial Dragon in the world being over 100 meters long. 
It takes 115 people to bring Sun Loong to life!


There are five other dragons of various lengths who accompany Sun Loong when he goes for his annual Easter stroll around the streets of Bendigo every Easter Sunday. A truely impressive and noisey occasion.
We also went into the Chinese Gardens and the Chinese Temple which is dedicated to Guan Yin the Goddess of Mercy.  Traditionally the statue is made of wood or clay but the Bendigo one is made of hand carved marble, which is very special. Her and her mate Budda are very interesting to see. I found the strong scent of the incense very overpowering. Still the artwork is incredible.
A huge day out. So much to see and digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment