The Journey Continues...

The Journey Continues...

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Tuesday...16 September 2014

My driving licence is due for renewal. Nothing exciting about that. Happens to most of us at regular intervals in our normal lives. But wait, they want me to have another photo taken and provide a fresh signature.  Just whip a comb through your hair, grab your renewal and head down to one of the many places referred to on the renewal. Small problem. None of them are accessible right now. In fact every last one is more than three and a half thousand kilometres away! And no, no other state has direct access to other states licencing renewal procedures.
Much drama.
I rang our state licence place twice but never got to speak to anyone, Each time I waited forever (more than ten minutes each time) to speak to someone because the little voices in my mobile phone insisted that my call was important but after listening to the voices telling me time and time and time again that no matter what my problem was I could find the answer on their interactive web site and having come to the conclusion that they never answer the phone now, I hung up and attempted to find the answers on the internet. Hours later, after reading that no matter what, I had to present myself in person in Perth to renew this licence, I finally found tucked away in a totally unrelated page, a form for applying for a licence by post.
Hooray. Progress.
Top requirement was a passport sized photo on matte paper. Bit tricky. Most passport photos are on gloss paper but after a few phone calls we found that Camera House could take the photo and print it on the approved paper. Tick. Then it was off to the Post Office to buy a money order and have some other documents photocopied. Tick. This was followed by a visit to the local police station to present my credentials and have the policeman on duty mark them as true and correct. Tick. Finally I could post off my application for a licence renewal from interstate.
Fingers crossed that I have filled in everything correctly and that the licence is processed on time and without trouble. Would not like to have to buy a plane ticket just to sort it out and do not want to lose the licence whilst driving around Australia.  Himself does most of our driving but we will stop one day and I want to be able to get out and about by myself when we do.
If we have a national passport, why can't we have a national drivers licence?

No comments:

Post a Comment